Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Triple C: Curry Coconut Cod


I am lucky enough to live in an area with an abundant organic food supply.  Colorado Springs has been my favorite duty station so far and honestly, I never want to leave!  We have fresh organic milk delivered to our house every Friday and we have a box of organic produce delivered every other week.  

Last week I received kale (lacinato kale to be exact) in my box.  I am fairly new to eating kale so I don't know of many ways to cook it.  I also had some cod in my fridge that needed to be cooked so I figured that there must be some sort of kale/cod recipe combination somewhere out there.  I did what every good housewife does, I went on Pinterest:)

Low and behold, I found a recipe and it was right up my alley!

I had actually been craving Indian food so when I found this recipe, I knew I had to make it!


What You Need:

  • 1 pound of ocean caught cod, thawed and cut into bite sized chunks
  • 1-2 small organic sweet potatoes, once cut into bite sized pieces and the other blended in a food processor
  • 1 bunch of organic kale (any variety), washed, stems removed and cut into bite sized pieces
  • 2 small stalks of organic celery, sliced
  • 4 cloves of garlic, chopped
  • 2 tsp ground cumin
  • 1 T curry powder (any variety you like)
  • 1/8 tsp chili powder
  • 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
  • 1 T olive oil
  • 1 14 ounce can coconut milk
  • 1 can organic diced tomatoes
  • 1 T grated organic ginger
  • Salt and pepper to taste (I use sea salt)
How It's Made: 
  • Combined ingredients celery through cinnamon in a food processor
  • Pulse into a rough paste
  • Heat olive oil in a large skillet and add celery/spice mixture
  • Sautee until celery softens, about 1-2 minutes
  • In the same food processor, combine coconut milk, tomatoes, blended sweet potato and ginger
  • Blend until smooth
  • Add mixture to the skillet and mix well with the celery/spice mixture
  • Add cut up sweet potato and cod
  • Bring to a low boil, then reduce to low and simmer for 20 minutes
  • Add kale and continue simmering until the kale is wilted 
  • Season with salt and pepper, feel free to add more spices until you reach the taste you desire!


This dish would be great served over with organic rice or with naan bread (if you aren't gluten free).  We ate ours as is and it was wonderful!  

Happy Eats,
Christin

No comments:

Post a Comment