Saturday, January 11, 2014

Cumin Chicken Salad


Pretty much every luncheon type place serves chicken salad.  It is a favorite amongst ladies who meet up for lunch during the day while their kids are off to school.  Why?  I'm not really sure.  It could be because chicken salad is hard to mess up.  Or because it isn't messy to eat like a sandwich.  Or perhaps it is because it has the word 'salad' in it and that automatically makes it healthy, right?

Whatever the reason, chicken salad is a great lunch time meal and yesterday that is exactly what I made for lunch.

I invited my friend over for lunch yesterday.  This is going to sound bad, but since moving here in August, this was the first guest we have had in our house for a meal.  I decided I wanted to make my cumin chicken salad, cucumber and hummus crudites, some sort of fruit and some sort of pasta.



The pasta was store bought pasta you find in the refrigerator section.  I was amazed to find a gluten free option!  I coked the pasta according to the packages instructions.  I topped each pasta with a spoonful of organic marinara and sprinkled the whole dish with basil.

The cucumber and hummus crudites were just as easy.  I peeled and sliced and organic cucumber and added a dollop of hummus to the top of each one.

For my fruit, I just mixed some organic blueberries and organic raspberries together in a bowl and served.

Okay, now on to the cumin chicken salad:)

What You Need:
  • One large skinless, boneless chicken breast
  • 1/2 cup organic mayo
  • 2 small stalks of celery washed and chopped
  • 2 green onions, chopped
  • 1/4 red onion, diced
  • 3 cloves of garlic peeled and finely chopped
  • 1 T cumin divided
  • salt and pepper
  • 1/4 tsp garlic powder
How It's Made:
  • Preheat oven to 375
  • Place chicken breast on a cooking sheet and sprinkle salt, pepper, 1/2 T cumin and garlic powder on top of the breast
  • Cook chicken for 25-30 minutes or until cooked through (no pink remaining)
  • In the meantime, mix togther mayo, celery, green onion, red onion, garlic, 1/2 T cumin and a little salt and pepper into a bowl
  • Once chicken is finished cooking place it into a food processor and pulse until chopped to your preferred consistency then add chicken to the may mixture
  • Add more mayo if you wish, salt and pepper to taste.  Add more cumin if you want as well.
I served our chicken salad on top of a piece of butter lettuce.  You could serve it on top of any lettuce, spinach or as is.  The choice is up to you!

Happy Eats,
Christin


No comments:

Post a Comment