The other night we had gumbo (I'll share that recipe soon!). As a result we had left over Andouille Sausage (GF, organic and preservative free) and brown rice (organic). So, last night I decided I would try to make a super healthy version of Red Beans and Rice.
Did you notice that green stuff in the bowl? Yep, that is my twist. I had a couple of small organic zucchini that needed to be cooked. They were about to go bad so I thought I'd add them to the pot along with the rest of the ingredients.
I loved it! Especially because the zucchini adds color to the otherwise bland dish. Plus, I just plain love zucchini! It is one of those vegetables that I always try to keep in my fridge at all times!
What You Need:
- 1 package of smoked andouille sausage (cut up)
- 1 - 1 1/2 cups of brown organic rice (cooked)
- 1 can of organic red kidney beans (drained)
- 1 large or 2 small organic zucchini (ends cut off, chopped up the way you prefer)
- 1 cup Organic Vegetable or Organic Chicken Broth
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 1/2 - 1 T Cajun Seasoning (GF) Add slowly because it can get too hot!
How It's Made:
- Add cut-up sausage, zucchini, cooked rice, drained beans and stock of your choice to a pot
- Cook until zucchini becomes tender to your level of preference
- Add seasonings to taste
And there you have it folks! The easiest Red Beans and Rice that I've ever made. I don't like spicy foods so I was really careful with how much Cajun seasoning I added. Take your time adding the seasoning and be sure to taste often. You can always add more, but it sure is hard to remove if you over do it!
This dish was a win for my boys! They requested the leftovers for their lunches this morning. I am so glad I finally made something they really loved!