My husband had a great idea for dinner. He said, "We should buy a rotisserie chicken, shred it and make lettuce wraps for dinner". I said, "Sounds great!", and that is how we came up with this little gem.
We both LOVE Jamaican food!!! Having visited Jamaica several times has spoiled us to the flavors of the island. Jamaican restaurants are hard to find, so we've resulted to making our own Jamaican food.
We usually make Jerk Chicken Nachos, but since we've cut out so much from our diets, we opted for lettuce instead. We shredded the chicken, seasoned it really well with the Jerk seasoning, topped it with all kinds of yummy things. Then all that is left to do is heat and eat! So good!
What You Need:
- 1 Organic Rotisserie Chicken, shredded, no skin
- 1 small can of crushed organic pineapple
- 1 small can of chopped organic green chilies
- 1 can organic black beans
- 1 avocado, diced
- As much Jerk seasoning as you like!
- 1 head of butter lettuce, or lettuce of your choice
How It's Made:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Place shredded chicken on a cooking sheet
- Season with as much Jerk as you like, be sure to taste as you go, some Jerk seasonings are very spicy!
- Top with pineapple, chilies and black beans
- Place in oven for 10-15 minutes or until chicken is warmed through
- Spoon mixture on to washed and dried lettuce leaves then top with avocado
And that's it folks! This mixture would be great on top of a salad or rice. Serve with a side of fruit salad for a more filling meal. I seriously ate four lettuce wraps! They were that good!
If you have any other healthy Jamaican recipes I'd love for you to share them! Share them here in the comments section or on the FB page, Real Food For A Real You.