Thursday, January 9, 2014

Gluten Free Asian Lettuce Wraps


I don't know about y'all, but when this whole 'gluten free' thing first started making an appearance I thought the whole movement was ridiculous, a fad and a way for retailers to milk money from consumers (GF foods AREN'T cheap!).

However, since we have started the GF lifestyle (about 95% of the time, a girl still needs her occasional hamburger), I have noticed that I feel so much better, My skin is clearer, my hair doesn't get as greasy as fast ad my digestion is normal!

I also thought that GF meant TF, taste-free.  That is so NOT the case!  Food explodes with flavor in your mouth when you are finally tasting real food!  You are mindful of what your eating, you put time into making it and that alone makes it taste so much better.  You know you are eating something healthy and whole, free of preservatives and chemicals.  It's truly amazing!

Something else that is amazing, I have turned in to a really good cook.  I used to take the easy route.  I would buy and prepare boxed or frozen meals for my family.  I thought I was cooking healthy, but nothing was organic and everything had processed ingredients.  No more.  Because I have changed the way we eat, I have so much more energy!  I used to be too tired to really cook anything.  Now I cook every night, make two school lunches every night, clean my kitchen every night and finally relax in front of the TV when I am done.  I used to literally sit in front of the TV all day long, eating whatever I could find in my pantry (we never had and chips, cookies, junk).  I was grumpy, impatient, tired.  Now I am mindful, energetic, patient and joyful.  

I have a Virgin shake for breakfast and lunch.  I may have a snack of organic cucumber or GF crackers with hummus, an apple, an orange or a slice of preservative/antibiotic free chicken.  

Last night I made Asian lettuce wraps.  They were absolutely delicious!!!  


What You Need:

  • 1 pound ground turkey (I used organic free range turkey)
  • 1 cup pre-shredded organic carrots (or shred your own)
  • 1 cup chopped organic mushrooms
  • 2-3 cloves of chopped garlic (we are garlic lovers in this house!0
  • 2 green onions, chopped* PLEASE SEE NOTE!
  • 1 T grated organic ginger** PLEASE SEE NOTE!
  • 1 tsp cornstarch (optional, if you want a thicker sauce)
  • 1 head of organic lettuce ( I used butter lettuce)
Sauce Mixture:
  • 5 T coconut aminos (to replace soy sauce)
  • 2 T rice vinegar
  • 2 1/2 T coconut sugar
  • 1 tsp sesame oil
How It's Made:
  • Cook turkey in saucepan until it is almost browned
  • Pour out extra liquid if any
  • Add in carrots, mushrooms, garlic, green onions and ginger
  • Add in sauce mixture
  • Mix well and simmer together for about 5 minutes
  • Add in cornstarch (optional)
  • Continue to simmer another 5 minutes, or until veggies are softened
  • Remove from heat and let sit 5 minutes
  • Place a spoonful of mixture on top of individual lettuce leaves
If you want a dipping sauce with your wraps here is a simple recipe:
  • 1 1/2 T coconut aminos
  • 1 T rice vinegar
  • 1 tsp grated ginger
  • 1/8 tsp sesame oil
  • 1 T coconut sugar
  • 1/2 garlic clove, pressed and chopped
*Note: Don't waste your money buying green onions all the time.  Next time you buy green onions put them in a glass of water and set them in a window.  Green onions will continue to grow.  When the stems start getting too long, simply cut them off low (leave about half and inch), chop them up and freeze them.  The onions will start growing back where you cut them off at.  You will have an endless supply of fresh green onions!

**Note: Keep ginger in a zip-lock bag in the freezer.  It will keep F-O-R-E-V-E-R!


Happy Eats,
Christin

No comments:

Post a Comment