Tuesday, January 7, 2014

BBQ Turkey Meatballs


My boys finally started back to school today and along with all the healthy changes at home, we are also changing the way the boys eat at school.  Since August, the boys have been buying hot lunch from the school cafeteria.  The only reason for this is that I was lazy and didn't feel like making their meals.  Plus, they really liked hot lunch.  

I have come up with several different food options for them that I think they will love.  Today I sent them to school with bbq turkey meatballs, some cheese, carrots, organic fruit leather, and gluten free crackers.  For snack they are having organic, non GMO potato chips and water.  

Here is a before shot of the meatballs;


And after:


The boys each got 5 meatballs in their lunch.  My husband ate the rest.  I honestly didn't put much thought into how I was going to make these meatballs.  I knew I wanted them to have a bbq flavor, but I didn't want to pour sauce over the top of them in case the boys' lunch boxes leaked (they use bento boxes).  So I decided to add the bbq sauce to the meatball mixture.

What You Need:

  • 1 pound of lean organic ground turkey meat (use pork if you want)
  • 1/2 cup of gluten free bbq sauce (I use Sweet Baby Rays)
  • crumbs from half of a slice of bread (*see note about how to make your own bread crumbs)
  • 3/4 - 1 tablespoon of parsley
  • salt and pepper to taste


How It's Made:

  • Preheat oven to 400 degrees
  • Mix all ingredients together well
  • Form into small balls (about ping pong ball size)
  • Place on baking sheet
  • Cook for 25-30 minutes.  Be sure you don't overcook or the meatballs will dry out!
*NOTE:
To make your own bread crumbs simply take any slice of bread (I use Rudi's Gluten Free bread and keep it frozen) and place it into your food processor or blender (I use a Vitamix, but any processor or blender will do).  Pulse a few times and you should have your own homemade bread crumbs.  Use half for this recipe.  Store the rest in a Ziplock bag and refrigerate. Who knew it was that simple?!

You can also add seasonings to your breadcrumbs of you wish!

These meatballs are perfect for school lunches or an at home meal.  I would pour more bbq sauce over them if we were eating them at home.  
Happy Eats,
Christin


No comments:

Post a Comment